November 14, 2015

Fitreaders Check In

This is being hosted by Jen at That's What I'm Talking About and later on at the Geeky Bloggers Book Blog.  It is a wonderful way to link with others who are making sure exercise is a part of their daily lives - and not just all sitting and reading!

My week.
graph of walking for week


This week I had to go and buy a new pair of shoes to walk in. My beloved purple ones are a little the worse for wear after two years of fitreader's walking! So relegated to the garden etc and in with the new. I only like Nike Pegasus because they fit me well. I was happy to know they weren't stocking pink in store, the one colour I'd have problems wearing!

old shoes


new Nike pegasus shoes
I have just been doing a little thinking about shoes because I read Brandie's  post thinking about new shoes, then I opened my copy of the Australian Women's Weekly and they said every 500-800 km. (For runners, so maybe walkers can get away with more?)  

An online site Prevention says if you walk 45 - 60 min three times a week (I do) it should be about every 5 months.  So I need to rethink my shoe buying! I catapulted into the shoe shop during the week because of foot pain and er... I dropped gardening compost all over one shoe. 

How often do you change your shoes?

9 comments:

  1. YES!! New shoes are SOOOOO important. I left a whole bunch in the comment section of Brandie's post. I actually wear out my shoes faster now walking that I did when I was running. I change out my shoes every 4-6 months. I use a "stability" shoe because I pronate (walk on the inside edges of my feet). I also use special insoles instead of the ones that come with the sneakers. The ones I use have more cushion in the heel and better arch support.

    As I suggested to Brandie - if you find a shoe you really like, or two different shoes... have two pair and alternate them each walk. This will double the time until you need to get new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, changing shoes is important so as not to hurt yourself :) I also use sols inside to make them even more comfortable than they already are ! Your new Pegasus look great and you did really good this week, congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  3. not often enough I don't have a lot either really

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every 5 months!!! But then I did make my running shoes walking in the woods for a longer tome shoes, and my new shoes my normal walking shoes so maybe I can make it until summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know seems very minimal, but I think I realise 2 years was too long!!

      Delete
  5. Good support is important. Your soles either get worn out or the inner support goes. My inner support went in my first pair of Asics. I like your new Pegasuses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually buy new shoes every 6-8 months, more so when I'm training for a 1/2 marathon. Like you, I'm a walker, so I don't get as many miles in as a runner does, but I think that timeline is still important. I definitely feel when the shoes start to go flat - they just don't have the same bounce/support as they do when they are new. I tend to buy running sneakers because I like the extra support. My go-to lately has been Brooks Ravenna - I think I've bought them the last 2 or 3 times. And this is reminding me that I'm probably due for a new pair...thanks!!! Guess I'll be adding that to my list of things to do this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin, I definitely have been negligent I guess over shoes, when they fall apart has been my go to. Not any more. Ouch.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, I guess I've been a bit 'tight' with my shoe allowance, I wear them until they fall apart lol. Guess I should change that. I like your Nike's! Nike's and Asics have been my go-to runners but my Sketchers are also very comfortable to walk in ... probably not enough ankle support though.
    Wow look at all the 10,000 days, you had a great week Kathryn :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...