October 22, 2016

The Education of Dixie Dupree. Donna Everhart

book cover
Published: Kensington
Date: October 25th 2016
Format: e-ARC
Pages:352
Genre: Southern Fiction
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Rating:
               Add to Goodreads
In 1969, Dixie Dupree is eleven years old and already an expert liar. Sometimes the lies are for her mama, Evie’s sake—to explain away a bruise brought on by her quick-as-lightning temper. And sometimes the lies are to spite Evie, who longs to leave her unhappy marriage in Perry County, Alabama, and return to her beloved New Hampshire. But for Dixie and her brother, Alabama is home, a place of pine-scented breezes and hot, languid afternoons.

Though Dixie is learning that the family she once believed was happy has deep fractures, even her vivid imagination couldn’t concoct the events about to unfold. Dixie records everything in her diary—her parents’ fights, her father’s drinking and his unexplained departure, and the arrival of Uncle Ray. Only when Dixie desperately needs help and is met with disbelief does she realize how much damage her past lies have done. But she has courage and a spirit that may yet prevail, forcing secrets into the open and allowing her to forgive and become whole again.

                                             My thoughts banner
The voice of Dixie just grabbed me and drew me into this story. Had I known how the story was going to unfold, maybe I would never have read this book, so I am very pleased I went in cold. The Education of Dixie Dupree is the debut novel of Donna Everhart, yet it felt like to me that it was coming from a very experienced writer, it was so well written.

Dixie is an inquisitive, strong personality and I was often horrified by the relationship she had with her mother. My heart went out to Dixie as she endured the many questions she had in her mind and the love and wonderings she had about her father. Her mother is a very unhappy woman and it could be said much of what happens, happens because of this unhappiness. Her secrets though are dark and as yet have not seen enough light. When something isn't healed, then ugly things can result.

Dixie keeps a diary and in it she writes her truths. Later this diary will become very important. However what she doesn't know is her mother kept a diary like she did too, and eventually it will answer some of the questions Dixie has.

Most of the story is set in Alabama and the setting - the heat, the red dust and the love of the land comes through from Dixie. What happens to Dixie is dark and abusive. This is not an easy book to read, but Dixie's powerful voice just mesmerised me and kept me reading. And there is justice and hope and resilience. Perhaps the final revelation was a little 'too tidy', and I will be interested to see what others think about that.


debut novel heart breaking thought provoking book club perfect



8 comments:

  1. Does not sound like an easy read. Especially when a child is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sense so much despair in your review. I have a really hard time reading novels that force young children to grow up too soon. I'm already protective of Dixie. To hear how exquisite her character is and her strong voice make makes me want to dive into her world and get to know her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a "collector" of debut novels. I definitely will look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds like the kind of book I "enjoy," in the sense that it resonates with me, and with what I've seen in my past career.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cover, so beautiful. It sounds like it could be an interesting read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never really taken the time to consider reading a Southern Fiction. Hopefully this will be my first one!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gonna read it. My local library may not have it, but this is one I will buy if necessary. I read five to six books every three weeks, so I can usually tell when i’ll Want to own one. This may be one of those.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...