April 3, 2014

Just Destiny. Theresa Rizzo


Book Cover: Just Destiny
Just Destiny
Theresa Rizzo
Published: Theresa Rizzo
Date: 31st March 2014
Format: e-ARC
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Copy from author.
Jenny Harrison made some poor choices in the past, but marrying Gabe was the best thing she’d ever done. They had the perfect marriage, until a tragic accident leaves Gabe brain dead and her world in ruins.Devastated by grief, she decides to preserve the best of their love by conceiving his child, but Gabe’s family is adamantly opposed, even willing to chance exposing long-held family secrets to stop her.

Caught in a web of twisted motives and contentious legal issues, Jenny turns to best friend and attorney, Steve Grant. Steve wants to help Jenny, but he has reservations and secrets of his own.When something so private and simple turns public and complicated, will Jenny relent? What is Steve willing to sacrifice to help Jenny?

Banner:  My thoughts
I was immediately engaged by this book.  It is my first time reading this author, it won't be my last! The writing is excellent, the characters were both lovable and imperfect.  The plot held me the whole way through. Above all else with this book, it was the issues that it explored that left me mesmerized.  

Jenny is an interesting character, in her marriage to Gabe she has found love and a new sense of herself.  Yet was there marriage perfect? I think it had a couple of flaws - but it was still the right marriage at the right time for both of them.  When the accident that happens takes it all away from them, the issues that arrive, had my brain ticking over.  I wasn't so much emotionally invested as open to seeing where this story would go next.  I wondered had this dilemma ever actually happened in real life? I imagine it would be quite controversial.

Steve is a very good friend to Jenny, he really goes the extra mile to help her out - yet he has his limits.  Also factored in is Gabe's first wife, who seems to be a well adjusted person, and Gabe's two children by this previous marriage.  As well throw into the mix - George, the uncle who raised Gabe when his parents died. He appears as a grouchy old man and does he have some laws to lay down!  

This book explores to some extent the problems people find themselves in when they either lie or keep secrets.  Are the lies and secrets in this story justified? I don't really think so, but read the book and decide for yourself.  I just don't want to say too much, or give away anything about the choices made, as each choice is a vital part of the plot.

On the 14th of April, I have the privilege of a Q&A with Theresa Rizzo here on Book Date.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...