May 23, 2015

Murder of Crows. Anne Bishop

book cover
Murder of Crows
Anne Bishop
Published: HarperVoyager
Date: 2014
Format: Paperback
Pages: 337
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Local Library
Add to Goodreads
After winning the trust of the Others residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.

The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murder of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard—Lakeside’s shape-shifting leader—wonders if their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or a future threat.

As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now, the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet—and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all.


My thoughts banner
Murder of Crows is the second book in The Others series by Anne Bishop. I enjoyed it a lot, although not perhaps as much as the first one.  I listened to the audiobook for the first one and loved it. Unfortunately Murder of Crows was not available to me in audio format so I read it. However I will be able to listen to Vision in Silver - the most recent one.

Anne Bishop writes very well, her world building is excellent and her characters suck me right in. The relationship between Simon Wolfgard and Meg showed interesting developments in this book. While I have read some reviews that believe that these two will never be able to form a full mating relationship, I am interested to see how it will develop.  This book shows how much in need of Meg Simon is.  He turns to her when he is lonely, yet he is worried that he may be becoming too human. I didn't get enough of the wolf cub Sam to make me happy though!

This book reveals the humans and terra indigene working together to find the evil people who are causing the death of crows and also the search for the Controller and the compound that houses the cassandra sangue where they are imprisoned.  It is from this place that Meg escaped.  As well there is a group formed that is causing much trouble by turning humans totally against the terra indigene, which is really stupid as the terra indigene wield far more power and resources.  

The twists and turns, the characterisation, the small touches of humour, the wondering where this will go next kept me reading, and I am certainly very hooked into this series now!

4.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. 4.5 stars ... that's high praise for a 2nd book, definitely adding this series to my wishlist. Thanks for great review and recommendation Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good series, first one is at Audible - I liked the narrator, know of one person not so keen on her but takes all tastes. I never thought I would stray into paranormal fantasy. But there you go.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...