January 30, 2018

Tempest. Beverly Jenkins

book cover
Published: Avon
Date: 30th January 2018
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 384
Genre: Historical Romance
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Rating:
4 stars                    Add to Goodreads
What kind of mail-order bride greets her intended with a bullet instead of a kiss? One like Regan Carmichael—an independent spirit equally at home in denims and dresses. Shooting Dr. Colton Lee in the shoulder is an honest error, but soon Regan wonders if her entire plan to marry a man she’s never met is a mistake. Colton, who buried his heart along with his first wife, insists he only wants someone to care for his daughter. Yet Regan is drawn to the unmistakable desire in his gaze.

Regan's far from the docile bride Colton was expecting. Still, few women would brave the wilds of Wyoming Territory for an uncertain future with a widower and his child. The thought of having a bold, forthright woman like Regan in his life—and in his arms—begins to inspire a new dream. And despite his family’s disapproval and an unseen enemy, he’ll risk all to make this match a real union of body and soul.


My thoughts banner
Tempest is the third in Beverly Jenkins Old West series, I hadn't read the first two, however it stands well by itself, although while reading it I decided I wanted to read the previous two and get to know the relatives belonging to Regan.

Regan is a mail order bride - a fun trope for sure. However what I liked about Regan is that she is no quiet, stand back kind of woman.  She knows how to front up, speak her mind while looking you in the eye. Right from the get go, when we meet her in the stage coach travelling to her destination and they are set upon by thugs she shows her mettle. What a surprise they got.

Regan is a real treasure, and soon Anna the young six year old belonging to Colt Lee is totally smitten and her daddy isn't far behind.  Regan can pretty much do everything - ride, shoot, is well able to cook and is quite a handy woman about the house. Her only fault seems to be her inability to keep her room tidy!

The story moves along at a smooth pace, the local people are very much part of the story and Spring - Colt's sister is another delight. Wouldn't mind seeing her have her own book!  The Wyoming setting which shows the early days of settlement was both entertaining and informative. Beverly Jenkins shows up the nasty side of injustice towards people such as Native Americans, people of color and the Chinese.   She includes horrific details of one historical event which is very sobering, yet we need to know. 

On the whole a delightful read, this was my first historical romance by Beverly Jenkins and I look forward to reading more from her.
book icon book icon book iconbook icon

8 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try one of Jenkins' HRs for a while. You've made this sound like the perfect intro to her books. Adding to my GR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a book once by Beverly Jenkins, but I can't remember which one it was. This sounds like a good book. I've read several books with a similar plot and I enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regan sounds like the kind of character I love, and even though it has been a long while since I read a book set in the Old West, I'm adding this one to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I want to read it. Great review Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to try anything by her

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting but I am not sure about the Old West! I have been watching Big Valley, though so maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard an interview with her about this book and thought it sounded absolutely fascinating. She's so interesting and I've loved hearing her talk about her books though I've never read any of them. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Now I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old west romances and I've had Beverly Jenkins on my list of authors to try for years. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...