April 18, 2018

The Family Gathering. Robyn Carr

book cover
Published:MIRA
Date:  17th April 2018
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 352
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Source: Little Bird Publicity and NetGalley
Rating:
5 stars          Add to Goodreads
Having left the military, Dakota Jones is at a crossroads in his life. With his older brother and youngest sister happily settled in Sullivan’s Crossing, he shows up hoping to clear his head before moving on to his next adventure. But, like every visitor to the Crossing, he’s immediately drawn to the down-to-earth people and the seemingly simple way of life.

Dakota is unprepared for how quickly things get complicated. As a newcomer, he is on everyone’s radar—especially the single women in town. While he enjoys the attention at first, he’s really only attracted to the one woman who isn’t interested. And spending quality time with his siblings is eye-opening. As he gets to know them, he also gets to know himself and what he truly wants.

When all of the Jones siblings gather for a family wedding, the four adults are drawn together for the first time in a way they never were as children. As they struggle to accept each other, warts and all, the true nature and strength of their bond is tested. But all of them come to realize that your family are the people who see you for who you really are and love you anyway. And for Dakota, that truth allows him to find the home and family he’s always wanted.


My thoughts banner
Every so often I look forward to reading a certain book and then feel a little let down when I read it.  Not so with The Family Gathering, #3 in Robyn Carr's Sullivan's Crossing. I love, love, loved every word of it.

I've come to love this little community and the spirit that exists among them.  And I really looked forward to brother Dakota's story and it was everything that I wanted and more. Yes more! Because we had updates of Maggie and Cal and little Elizabeth. We saw Sully from time to time, and Connie and Sierra's story is furthered and in such a way that had my heart hurting and hoping at the same time.  And then the last sister Sedona - what a story for her too. Such a strong sense of family and community - my kind of read.

If that all sounds like you couldn't read this one without reading the previous two books - well you could because Robyn Carr does fill you in a unobtrusive way. However I am so happy to have followed the story from the beginning.

As soon as Dakota arrives and finds himself a little cabin in the woods I was hooked. Made me remember such a cabin in the Virgin River series.  I loved how he talks straight and tells people (women mostly) where he's at with them or not as the case may be.  I loved Sid too, she's had a knock back but in reality she is a very intelligent and strong woman. 

All the characters have such interesting back stories and it impinges on their lives now. This is not just some light romance, this is a story about people - their highs and lows and struggles. And their ultimate arrival on the path to redemption. And of course there is romance and in such a perfect way. 

I loved all the characters, Robyn Carr even includes the perfect nun, plus the oddest character around, we've met her in previous books and she is every bit as weird in this one, but has she finally met her match?

If you are a Robyn Carr fan this one is certainly for you. If you like a heart warming and emotional read, great characters and plenty to keep you involved in the plot then I say .... read it!

13 comments:

  1. This is the second glowing review I read of this book. I like books that are about family. That cover is so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around Kathryn and her series is now higher on my pile. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does feel like I should read the rest since it seems we meet a lot of oldies, and well I want to have those fuzzy feels too when I meet them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eager to read this one, as I loved the first two books in the series. I've requested it from the library...but I may need to buy it if I don't get it soon enough!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so good but I know that I would need to read the first two first...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry I missed it on Netgalley. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Robyn Carr books and wish that I picked this up on Netgalley. Your review has me wanting to read it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really loved this series and this one I think may be my favorite! I love that sense of family and community that you mention. That alone is enough to keep me reading but I loved all characters you mention too. The nun was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a good series. I wonder if the odd character will show up in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn Carr provides such a reliably warm read. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've really begun to like this author and need to pick up this series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve got to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to catch up w/this series as I don't even know what the second book is about.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...